Turning 50 with SG

[This letter was published in the ST Forum page on 19 April 2014]


Like many born in 1965, I grew up with Singapore and I am a product of 50 years of nation building, social and economic policies. Undeniably, my life story is intertwined with the nation’s history.

Therefore, I cannot see why the celebration of Singapore’s golden jubilee should include Jubilee Special Packages for babies born in 2015. What significance does the nation’s 50th anniversary have on infants who are too young to understand? Will mementos like baby products that infants quickly out-grow impact the birth rate next year? Is that the purpose of the package?

I am proud to be a Singaporean whose life narrative is intertwined with the nation’s growth trajectories.  For better or for worse, those born in 1965 have borne the brunt and reaped the benefits of family, economic and social policies implemented in the last 5 decades.

As I turn 50 with Singapore, I hope the SG50 committee will include something to mark our common destiny.  Why not turn the focus on these Singaporeans who will turn 50 rather than babies born in the year 2015? Perhaps the committee could seek public feedback for ideas on how those turning 50 with the nation could commemorate their birthdays together.